Sunday, February 22, 2009

Friendly bird #1: wâciye, owl

I'm very excited to introduce you to bonjour, bird's first friendly bird, ciye, owl. This little guy is a barred owl, which is sometimes known as a hoot owl or eight hooter which is made clear when you listen to his raucous jumble of cackles. I haven't quite figured out how to put sound bites on blogger, but I recommend going to this link to hear the hoooooting. He also has a pretty nice scientific name: Strix varia.

I have him speaking in Cree which is a native language from Canada. This owl comes from most of the eastern half of North America, so I hope that his language is fitting. ciye is pronounced wah-chee-yay.

If you would like to see more of ciye, owl, you can take him home with you by going to my cafepress shop. With the weekly friendly bird, I will also post items on this online store so you can take your friendly bird to work with you in a to-go mug, wear him on your shirt, or even put him on your baby!

Resources: USGS, Cornell Lab of Ornithology, Native Languages

No comments:

Post a Comment